No, I’m not talking about women….(well, maybe I am).
What I am getting at is an emotional measurement. How do we know HOW we are doing? Really…honestly….
“How are you doing? Are you happy? Do you have joy? Are you content?”
These questions are often honest, sincere, communicative forms of checking on someone you care about. I’m getting all of the above and then some from those that are “just checking” on me. Praise God for true friends.
And if you’re wired like me, we must over analyze even the simplest inquiries and measure our answers carefully. This exercise has led me to a personal revelation. Like a sailboat being blown by the wind of the day, happiness is at best temporal. Even a soul, full of joy, is sometimes conditioned on circumstances, but inner peace is my focus. It is the bedrock of balance for me. From this inner peace radiates joy, contentment, and even happiness. Inner peace is a gift from God. But as with all gifts, we must exercise its developement.
Here are some signs and symptoms of a God gifted inner peace:
- A tendency to think and act spontaneously rather than on fears based on past experiences.
- An unmistakable ability to enjoy each moment.
- A loss of interest in judging other people.
- A loss of interest in judging self.
- A loss of interest in interpreting the actions of others.
- A loss of interest in conflict.
- A loss of the ability to worry. (This is a very serious symptom.)
- Frequent, overwhelming episodes of appreciation.
- Contented feelings of connectedness with others and nature.
- Frequent attacks of smiling.
- An increasing tendency to let things happen rather than make them happen.
- An increased susceptibility to the love extended by others as well as the uncontrollable urge to extend it.
If you have some or all of the above symptoms, please be advised that your condition of inner peace may be so far advanced as to not be curable. If you are exposed to anyone exhibiting any of these symptoms, remain exposed only at your own risk.