Brain research confirms that both sides of the brain are involved in nearly every human activity, we do know that the left side of the brain is the seat of language and processes in a logical and sequential order. The right side is more visual and processes intuitively, holistically, creatively, and randomly.
Most people seem to have a dominant side. A key word is that our dominance is a preference, not an absolute. It seems that our brain goes on autopilot to the preferred side.
No one is totally left-brained or totally right-brained. Just as we have a dominant hand, dominant eye, and even a dominant foot, we have a dominant side of the brain. We can and must develop both sides of our brain.
Forever I’ve been a right-brained guy trapped in a left-brained world.
Most sports loving jocks (think they) are the anti-creatives, as the Superbowl Glee episode so aptly pointed out. I am a creative. I love to create. And that’s ok.
As a right-brained creative, I’m learning (thanks to Justin’s blog, where he wrote) that we must:
1. Ignore everybody.
2. The idea doesn’t have to be big. It just has to be yours.
3. Put the hours in.
4. Everyone is born creative; everyone is given a box of crayons in kindergarten.
5. Keep your day job.
6. Companies that squelch creativity can no longer compete with companies that champion creativity.
7. Everybody has their own private Mount Everest they were put on this earth to climb.
8. Don’t try to stand out from the crowd; avoid crowds altogether.
9. If you accept the pain, it cannot hurt you.
10. Never compare your inside with somebody else’s outside.
11. The world is changing.
12. Merit can be bought. Passion can’t.
13. Avoid the Watercooler Gang.
14. Sing in your own voice.
15. Selling out is harder than it looks.
16. Nobody cares. Do it for yourself.
17. Don’t worry about finding inspiration. It comes eventually.
18. Write from the heart.
19. The best way to get approval is not to need it.
20. The hardest part of being creative is getting used to it.
21. Start blogging.
22. When your dreams become reality, they are no longer your dreams.